1) What does BoldtSmith Packaging do?
BoldtSmith Packaging is a recognized leader in packaging design, testing and optimization for retail packaging, e-commerce packaging and shipping platforms.
Our clients may have an existing packaging team that is overburdened with projects and requires our assistance to provide relief. Other customer’s do not have a packaging team and hire us to be their packaging engineer without the added financial obligation of having a full-time associate.
Companies with seasonal products have increased workloads during times of onboarding for new and existing SKU’s. We provide the packaging expertise to ensure your product gets to the store with cost efficient, smart packaging. Our solutions are provided with speed that go beyond the typical 9 to 5 business day to meet tight deadlines.
Our mission is to manage the transition from having reactive packaging problems to proactive packaging solutions.
3) Milwaukee, WI
Our warehouse is located in Milwaukee, WI and we work with customers domestically and overseas. We have a state-of-the-art CNC sample making table that allows us to quickly design and create corrugated and foam samples.
4) In Business since 2013
Dustin Smith and John Boldt began BoldtSmith Packaging in 2013 with the goal of filling in as “temporary” packaging engineers for product manufacturers.
5) Shipping Crates
We have experience in designing and testing shipping crates for products ranging from doors to motorcycles. Large, heavy products can be difficult to ship cost effectively without sacrificing product damage and safety. Each supply chain and customer have different requirements and we design and test our shipping crates to exceed these expectations.
Expendable Shipping Crates
- What are the requirements for shipping crates going through distribution centers and into the store?
- What is the supply chain the product ships through?
- What hazards will the product and packaging experience?
- What type of shipping crates design should I use?
- Should the shipping crates be a one-time use or re-usable?
- How many shipping crates fit on a container/trailer? If the design is optimized, how many more will fit and what is the financial impact?
- How should I test the shipping crates to minimize product damage through the supply chain?
Returnable Shipping Crates
- When is it most cost effective to ship parts in a returnable packaging system?
- What is expendable packaging costing your business in time unwrapping parts and disposal costs?
- What type of returnable packaging is best suited for your parts?
- How many returnable packs do you need to fill the system?
- How long can you expect the new returnable packs to last?
- How will your returnable packaging be handled throughout the distribution system and can they withstand the material handling environment?
6) Retail Packaging and Displays
Retailers have strict requirements for retail packaging and displays shipping into their stores. We have a state-of-the-art sample making table that allows us to design and quickly cut out printed samples for your product walks. We have the background and experience working with retailers to ensure your new SKU introduction follow their packaging requirements.
- What is your current method to determine retail packaging? Is this the most effective system?
- Is retail packaging delaying your in-store date?
- How is your competition packaging their products?
- Is your current packaging maximizing sales?
- Which transit testing protocol are you following? Why was that protocol selected?
- How much shrink (theft) are you experiencing?
- What size display is needed in the store aisle vs front of store or during the holidays?
- How many products should I have in the display?
- Can I ship the display unassembled or does it need to be assembled?
- How many displays fit in a container?
- What corrugated (cardboard) material strength should I use if the display is manufactured in China vs the United States?
- What transit test protocol should I use if the display is shipping to Wal-Mart vs. Home Depot?
- Can I combine my different displays into one universal size to increase the volume and decrease material costs?
- Should I include assembly instructions if shipping unassembled?
7) E-Commerce Packaging
Selling products online requires different packaging to match the customer expectations and rigorous supply chain. We have experience in managing e-commerce packaging for a large variety of globally sourced products.
- Is your in-store packaging the same as your e-commerce packaging?
- Are you experiencing damage with your e-commerce packaging?
- How much is e-commerce shipping costing you?
- What is your dimensional weight? Is there room to decrease the amount of air in the master carton?
8) Packaging Optimization
Packaging Optimization begins with a holistic approach to identify product damage and cost reduction opportunities. For current SKUs, your margins have been finalized with the retailers but optimizing your packaging is money in your pocket until the next product line review.
Product Damage Reduction
- What are your current damage rates for retail and e-commerce packaging?
- Where is the damage occurring?
- Why is the damage occurring?
- What packaging changes need to take place to reduce packaging damage?
- Where is the “Sweet Spot” for packaging costs vs product damage?
Packaging Cost Reduction
- What measures have you taken to reduce packaging costs?
- How did you determine the material strength for your current packaging?
- How much labor is used with your current packaging?
- How can we document the cost reduction to internal leadership?
9) Design Engineering Resource
We have experience in filling packaging engineering roles as a part time contractor. This eliminates the need for down time while searching for candidates, bringing new associates up to speed and financial responsibilities of a full-time associate.
- Do you have a need for a packaging engineer but don’t have the headcount to add a full-time associate?
- Are your packaging projects seasonal? Do you need a part-time packaging resource during a peak season?
- Do you need an independent packaging design engineer for packaging that will be produced overseas?
- Do you have a specific project that you need a dedicated packaging engineer?
At BoldtSmith Packaging our business model encompasses a vast array of abilities. One of which is to fill in as “temporary” Packaging Engineer’s for companies that either have an overburdened packaging team or no packaging engineer, however, we also create packaging samples!
10) Smarter Packing
BoldtSmith Packaging is not a packaging supplier or a broker. We provide a non-biased evaluation of your current packaging and deliver cost effective solutions. Our goal is to increase your margins with smarter packaging.
11) PACK – Four Advantages of Hiring a Packaging Consultant
1) Perspective: We have a unique viewpoint into the world of products and packaging due to our vast backgrounds. We understand the supply chain in which your product goes through and how to design and test the packaging to minimize damage and costs.
2) Availability: Do you need packaging assistance but cannot justify hiring a full-time associate? We will fill in as your temporary packaging engineer for specific projects. We are frequently faced with tight timelines; our focus and attention are on the specific project which allows us to complete those projects in time frames a full-time associate simply cannot do.
3) Creativity: We look at all aspects of the packaging life cycle from; reducing material costs, fitting more product on a container and reduce freight costs. Our goal is to implement smart packaging that will INCREASE your gross margin.
4) Knowledge: When you hire us as your packaging consultant, you are hiring experts that have degree’s in packaging and experience with a large variety of globally manufactured products. Our background is in creating packaging for everything from small products being sold in large retailers to returnable metal crates for tractors.
12) Certified Frustration-Free Packaging
A growing trend BoldtSmith Packaging is seeing is companies requesting Amazon Frustration Free Packaging! For our audience that may not be familiar with Amazon’s FFP, below is a quick breakdown.
Frustration Free Packaging is a convenient concept Amazon developed with the consumer and product manufacturer in mind. From a consumer perspective, it means the package is 100% recyclable and must be unwrapped in under 42 seconds. Pesky clamshells, zip ties and unnecessary packaging are eliminated!
However, from a product manufacturer’s standpoint not only is there an opportunity to increase customer satisfaction but also create more cost-efficient packaging. Some cost saving opportunities we typically find when transitioning to FFP are decreasing packaging material costs, freight and labor. Are you ready for your packaging to become frustration free? Reach out to BoldtSmith Packaging!
13) Return on Invesment
At BoldtSmith Packaging, we do not take projects for the sake of taking projects. If there is not opportunity for making positive changes to our customer’s packaging, we will tell them!
14. Free Estimates
Have a question or do you want to receive a free estimate? Contact us to schedule your free estimate. Or, you can call one of our Co-Founders
Dustin Smith at 414-378-3071 / email
John Boldt at 262-385-7745 / email
15) Fully Licensed and Insured
We are fully licensed and insured and require all of our employees to pass a background check for your safety. We concentrate on your complete satisfaction and the security of your investment.
We post blogs regularly for “how to” information, and items of interest to our customers. Check out our blogs.
We are on Facebook to give you information about our services, show you examples of our recent jobs and let you read our reviews to see the great things people are writing about us. Come like us and get in on the conversation!
Join us on LinkedIn to give you information about our services, show you examples of our recent jobs and let you read our reviews to see the great things people are writing about us.
BoldtSmith Packaging is a recognized leader in packaging design, testing and optimization for displays, retail packaging and shipping platforms. Our mission is to manage the transition from having reactive packaging problems to proactive packaging solutions. Give us a call at 414-378-3071 or email